ME :)

ME :)

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DO YOU REMEMBER THE TIME?

Last year at this time, I was coming home from work and I got a call that Haiti just got hit with a massive Earthquake. And only 3 people came to my mind. The Men in my life. My dad, my Step-dad, and the most influential man of them all - my Uncle Francois.

I have talked about him previously but I never really went into depth on how strong of a man he is. When the Earthquake occurred he was in Port Au Prince. Of course, after he finally came home we got to hear the tragic stories of what it was like having to witness the Earthquake at first hand. The only thing that he grabbed was his Passport and Laptop and jetted out of the hotel he was saying at faster than lighting. He stayed in a rented SUV with his colleagues for two days. Without any knowledge of what the rest of the days would be like. He stayed strong and was determined to get home.

If you didn't have a house or a car to stay in safety was the primary concern. Because so many of the inmates from prison got to escape and it became a safety issue. In addition, everyone started to take care of themselves. EVERY MAN FOR THEMSELVES! No one cared about children, mothers or elders. My father who works for the White House in Haiti, who was trapped under the rubbles for a couple of hours, also told me the same thing.

His house which is next to the White House wasn't destroyed but he was in state of shock he refused to sleep in the house for almost two weeks! And while sleeping outside he said he had nightmares over and over again. He heard gunshots outside every night, and woman and children crying themselves to sleep.

Due to communication being impossible when we finally got the chance to talk to my Uncle that night of the Earthquake he said he was okay but I knew in his voice, he was telling us that so we could be strong. He emailed his son after being in Haiti for two days and said "I am coming home". We didn't know how he would get home but let me tell you the next day he called and said he was in Dominican Republic and he was coming home. And that night he was home!!!

When my Uncle came back to NY, he hardly talked to anyone, nor ate any food. He left all his belongings in Haiti besides his Passport and laptop. The reason for this he explained was because he felt it would be selfish to take his things. So he left all the clothes he came to Haiti with for all those who would eventually need it. We watched Anderson Cooper on CNN for days as a family, and if you looked in my Uncles eyes you could see his pain and sorrow.

A year later, if you ask me where is my Uncle I would have to tell you back in HAITI! LOL! He has not given up on his country. He goes back to Haiti more than I think he is in New York. He still believes in his country. He is so strong and never gives up. He always has faith in others, and its no surprise he still has faith in Haiti. He is even helping with the Haiti Elections. And he said Haiti is still in bad shape. But if we believe in each other and in Haiti then we will and can make it! If he made it then I know we will be ok!! ;)



I dedicate this blog to Francois Pierre Louis. My strength my heart but most important my Uncle. I LOVE YOU!!!

No comments: